Growing old is inevitable...Growing up is optional!

Thursday 17 April 2008

Baltic Birthday

I know it's late as my birthday was the end of March, but I have been a bit useless at writing lately. So it was my last birthday before the big 40...which I have to say doesn't really bother me as I still feel 20 in my head, it's just a bit of a surprise when I look in the mirror!

Anyway the birthday weekend began when Sarah and I drove up to Oxford on the Friday night to CJ's, we arrived late, grabbed a quick beer and all went to bed after watching American Idol (CJ of course was fast asleep by this time). Saturday morning we got up, had some coffee just in time for Moyna's arrival. We got into the cars and made our way to the Big Smoke. I had found a lovely hotel just by Paddington Station, so we drove there and although it was too early for check in, they let us leave our bags, and off we went into the City.
We got to Trafalgar Square by 11am, I noticed the new "modern" sculpture on the plinth ....I don't get modern art, to me it looked like a CD rack you might have picked up in IKEA. Anyway I digress. We walked into in a pub called the Pitcher and Piano, CJ asked if it was too early for cocktails....the lovely barman said "It's never too early for cocktails" and he was right, so we had a few cosmopolitans, a little light lunch, and then made our way to the Vaudeville Theatre as we had tickets to see The Importance of Being Earnest.....I have been lucky enough to be cast as Gwendolen in a production of the same which will be touring America (Florida and Alabama) in August, so thought it would be good to see, especially as the amazing Penelope Keith was playing Lady Bracknell. We took our seats, CJ promptly fell asleep, and only woke up at the applause for the interval. Penelope Keith was a riot, and I thoroughly enjoyed the whole thing.

After the theatre we went back to the hotel for a quick freshen up, quick it was too by the time we got back it was time to leave again, but we spruced and changed and made our way to Southwark Tube station, as we had a table booked at the fabulous Baltic. As usual the food, the service, the atmosphere, everything was first rate. We drank too much wine, and far too many of the wonderful vodka shots, I have been abstaining from alcohol for a while, and so, the few that I had went straight to my head - Your Honour - I present the following pictures as evidence of a wonderful night.




Before the wine and vodka








During the vodka








After the Vodka! It's all in the eyes! Oh and I'm refusing to add the picture of me and CJ fast asleep on the tube!




Mmm I rest my case!
We did have the most fantastic time and Baltic is a place I can't recommend highly enough.
Keep Smiling
Marmite xx

No comments: