Growing old is inevitable...Growing up is optional!

Monday 4 February 2008

Audrey Hepburn

I came across a quote by the fabulous Audrey Hepburn – and it was this “I was born with an enormous need for affection, and a terrible need to give it”.

In my case, the first part, not so much, but the second part well yep that’s me, it has got me into all sorts of bother. Growing up in Wales everyone is really friendly, if you walk down the street you smile, or say good morning ..... yes even to strangers! As a naïve 18 year old I moved to London, Frognal Lane, to be precise, and everyday as I walked down Finchley road to the tube station I would smile at people or nod my head or say good morning, the reaction was slightly different I can tell you! After a while I stopped doing it, and turned into a City girl, head down, no eye contact, quick walk, just get where you’re going, and I didn’t like how that felt, so I went back to Wales.

I’m one of those people that folks talk to, strangers on a train tell me their woes, my friends say I have some semi-invisible tattoo on my head that says .....go on tell me your problems and you know what, I really don’t mind. I do think people are put on this earth for different reasons, and if mine is to have a sympathetic ear, or to make people laugh, or cheer them up, or just be friendly, then I can think of far worse things.

Sorry about that ....a bit philisophical today, must have been something I ate!
Keep smiling
Marmite Girl xx

No comments: