Growing old is inevitable...Growing up is optional!

Friday 15 February 2008

Russian Opera...surprisingly good!

Isn't it strange how sometimes you think you won't enjoy something but you go anyway and then you do?

My dear friend Emma is an Opera singer, she used to sing in Covent Garden, but like me felt the hireath (longing) and came back to Wales, she now sings with Welsh National Opera. Anyway she very kindly offered me a free ticket to her dress rehearsal of Eugine Onegin (or One Gin) as it's affectionately called. Now for me the jury is still out on Opera I'm not a huge fan, but can't say I don't like it, I love the spectacle, the scenery, the costumes, the staging, and the arias but I think it's the recit that I'm not keen on.

I said yes to the ticket, and looked up the story of Mr Onegin on the tinternet....not a happy tale, (love, jealousy, flirting, a duel, a death, heartbreak) but then I didn't really expect it to be, I did nearly fall off my chair when I read that the Opera was three and a half hours long! I met Emma beforehand and we had a light lunch, I took my seat, she went off to get ready to be Russian Peasant.

The soprano Nuccia Focile was outstanding, as was the rest of the cast (particularly the man in the eye patch), and I really did have a wonderful time, we finished the evening by having a nice meal and a glass of wine. It was just what I needed, and she gave me another ticket for next week to see Falstaff with Bryn Terfel, aren't friends brilliant?

Keep smiling
Marmite Girl xx

No comments: