Growing old is inevitable...Growing up is optional!

Tuesday 8 May 2007

Bruges.....not quite

OK, so where should I start....lets start on the Friday when the three of us, my friend Moyna, my Sister-in-Law and myself , drove from Wales to the lovely village of Whitney Oxfordshire to meet my other friend CJ who was joining us in Bruges, the plan was to arrive in time for a little light luncheon, stay over at her flat, so we were half way to London by Saturday to get the Eurostar to Brussels........well that was the plan!

This is what happend, we arrived at CJ's flat at 1pm, with a birthday cake and a nice bottle of Veuve Cliquot as it was her birthday, so the Veuve went in the fridge, the cake (after we had sung Happy Birthday) went back in the box, and we went up the road to The New Inn for the "light luncheon" - well by 7pm we asked for the bill, £182......of which £49.50 was food, and Moyna wasn't drinking as she was the driver. CJ then mentioned that she had booked a table for us at 8pm in the new Thai in the village and it would be rude to cancel, I seem to remember eating something with coconut rice, then we went back to the flat, drank the now cold Veuve, watched a bit of American Idol, and went to bed, well three of us went to bed, poor Moyna got to freeze on the Sofa all night.

Saturday I woke up surprisingly without a hangover, and we all got ready to get on the first of many trains, we started in Hanborough (this was CJ's idea as she said if we went to Oxford we wouldn't get a seat and would have to stand all the way to London, plus the car park was free!). About an hour later we arrive in Paddington and then have to get to Waterloo, now I am a fan of the tube, but not when you are carrying a large bag and a suitcase, but anyway we get on the tube. There we are, 4 of us with 4 bags and 4 cases, but we are blocking the door, so I decided to sit........this was a mistake, the person sitting next to me had an enormous body odour issue (of course by now there were people standing in front of me, so there was no way I could move) , I was amused to note the person in question had an Ipod and not one but two mobile phones, and was busy putting make up on, but NO deodorant, I thought of suggesting she trade in one of her phones for some Soft & Gentle but she was bigger than me!, I did ponder the merits of actually getting my Soft & Gentle out and spraying it in the carriage, but like I said, bigger than me! The final straw was when she decided to change her necklace, so I had the full force of an armpit which almost made me sick, the other three girls looking at my face found this hysterical! I was just hoping the girl sitting the other side didn't think it was me!!!

We get to Waterloo and pick up our tickets, and eventually get on the Eurostar, look forward to our first glass of champagne, which arrives and all is well.

Now why did I say Bruges not quite, well I don't want to put you off by writing a huge blog so I'm doing it in two parts, that and I have to take Ruby to the vet to have her stitches out.......so we are on the train sipping champagne..........to be contd.

No comments: